A steamy and heroic history…
This is beautifully over-sized Ulysse Nardin yellow gold chronograph in a 40mm mono pusher case, which is in really fantastic condition. The original dial is in stunning original condition, with a blue telemeter scale and black tachymeter scale. The hands are delicate in yellow gold with an interesting big arrow on the minutes sub register.
The watch features a very interesting case back engraving that translates to: “Panos Pladelis - in memory of your services to the Swiss War Office for Transport, Bern 1942” Our research indicates that the Panos Pladelis was a Greek steam ship that took part in a rescue of the crew of a US Tanker, which got torpedoed in the second worldwar by a German U-boot. Our best guess is that this was awarded to the Captain of the Steam Ship or other officer who took part in the rescue effort.
The watch has been fully serviced by our watchmaker and comes on a Bulang and Sons strap. Specifications:
- Ulysse Nardin Chronograph
- 40mm yellow 18k gold case
- Case Serial 6105xxxx ,dates to the 1940s
- Manual wind UN Valjoux 13 movement, with serial no 121xxx
- Dual scale chronograph dial
- Fully serviced by our watchmaker
- 1 year mechanical warranty
- Includes a handmade leather watch pouch
- Free worldwide Fedex Priority shipping
This watch has been certified at Certifiwatch under registration number CF-0102527